Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cured Salmon Recipe



As a child I rarely ate fish. I grew up in a landlocked part of a very large province and fresh fish was not overly available. I don't actually have any memories of eating any form of fish until I discovered sushi. The tenderness of salmon lightly teased by the cold fire of wasabi and the plump rice? I can eat sushi any time of day. I was absolutely devastated when I first learned that I could not eat unagi anymore but the world of sashimi, those perfect slivers of fresh, firm tuna and the pink salmon lined with creamy fat more than surpasses the sweet meatiness of the eel. I think the allure of sushi for me was that it was simple freshness.
This salmon is absolutely stunning. I pretty well followed the recipe from Saucisson Mac . I didn't have the dill and even if I did I wouldn't use it because I really don't like the taste of it, especially to this extent. Instead, I used either sesame or curry leaves. These are the leaves that came in a plastic bag from Pete's and there was a hand-written tag that stated sesame leaves, but when Mr. was fooling around google he convinced himself the leaves in question were curry leaves. Who knows. They add a smokey lemony flavour that definitely evokes curry. Another change I made was add a lot of brown sugar and the extra sweetness definitely paid off in the final product.



No comments:

Post a Comment