Sunday, September 12, 2010

School Lunch: Veggie Pasta in Poppyseed Dressing


This was actually a dinner in the midst of summer but I really think it would translate well into a child's lunch, provided you included an ice pack. You do want your kids to have a lunch and not be the kid with the weird mom who gives stinky lunches, right? Unless your kid won't clean his or her room, then have at it mean mama (or daddy) and do as you will. Included on this dinner plate are fried green tomatoes which are delicious but I don't suppose they'd translate well to a school lunch.

I don't suppose it's obvious that you ought to prepare vegetables your children will eat. I have a secret for you, if you keep giving your kid veggies, they'll eat them. Really. Miss N never eats the carrot sticks whenever I put out a platter of hummus but since we have a ton of carrots thanks to our CSA I've been putting them in her lunch. Miss N has eaten those carrot sticks every single day. Be resolute about your children's health and it will happen.

The Poppyseed Dressing

3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
half onion, diced
1 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. Poppyseeds
salt to taste

A note: If you do not have buttermilk or you have little people like mine who cannot tolerate cow's milk, use your usual milk and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice.

1. Stir all ingredients together. Allow to rest for a bit for the flavours to marry (isn't that precious?).

Vegetables

Your choice, chopped into bite-sized amounts

1. To blanche, cover in boiling water and allow to sit for a few minutes until the colour becomes vibrant and they just start to become tender.

Toss together with some cooked pasta, the vegetables and the dressing. The hardboiled egg comes in so that the little person in your life will have a punch of protein for energy. If you are so inclined, feel free to chop the egg onto the pasta.

2 comments:

  1. How come I never got good lunches as a kid? I ate a lot of PB&J (this, however, was my choice, I suppose).

    And I get so mad at commercials and people on TV who try to convince us that vegetables need to be hidden from kids. If they don't know they're eating them, how will they know if they like them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta..mmm... sounds good! Thanks! I will add this to my list. I hope it turn out good. =) I would like to see it in a stainless steel pyramid tiffin. Can't wait for it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete